As much as the refrigerator is necessary for your daily life, it can cause a tad bit of trouble as well. Especially, if you notice the fridge rolls or slides from its installation place. And if it moves often, it can fluctuate the temperature inside.
So, to keep your refrigerator functioning properly in its place, you are probably looking for how to stop fridge from rolling.
Not all models of fridges are the same. So, based on the structure and parts attached to your own device, you need to apply different tricks and methods to prevent it from rolling. And keeping these factors in mind, we have included alternative ways to the fixes as well. Let’s go on!
What You Will Need To Fix The Issue?
It is better to keep some tools at hand so that you do not mess up the process. And handling a fridge at home can involve risk factors. So, consider getting these things listed below
- Get a wrench, pliers, level, and owner’s manual to help you with the process.
- Do not forget to keep someone beside you to help lean the fridge if needed.
- Wear safety gloves and a face mask while working to protect yourself from any freon-leak hazards.
How to Stop Fridge from Rolling?
You do not always need to contact a technician whenever your fridge starts sliding from its place. You can fix it with some of the methods described below. No matter which technique you choose, remember to unplug the fridge before proceeding –
- Level the Fridge Legs
An unleveled fridge rolls or moves often from its place. In that case, you need to level or adjust the legs to prevent the fridge wheels from rolling. And here are the steps to this fix –
- First of all, go through your fridge manual to ensure how to remove the kick plate or grille of the fridge located right above the fridge legs. For most models, you will need to unscrew the screws or clips attached to the front of the grille.
- After removing the kick plate, check for any loose screws or bolts. If you find any, tighten them to secure them in their place.
- Examine the top or bottom of the fridge legs to find a slot on the top or a bolt on the bottom. If you find slots, place a flat-head screwdriver there, and use pliers for the bolt.
- Try to rotate the legs clockwise to raise the level of the fridge and rotate counterclockwise to lower the level. Note that, if your fridge legs do not have any fastener attached, you have to rotate the legs clockwise to lower the fridge and counterclockwise to raise the level.
- Now use the level to determine whether to lower or raise the level. For that, keep the level on top of the fridge and keep adjusting the legs from left to right until the level looks flat.
- Then place the level against the fridge so that the level tilts towards the back. You need to adjust the rollers in a way that the front end stays higher (preferably 6.35mm) than the back.
- Lastly, place the kick plate back in its place and tighten any screw clips. After leveling the legs, the fridge shall not roll.
- Adjust the Rollers or Wheels
Some fridge models require you to adjust their wheels to level the fridge. And to adjust the rollers follow these steps –
- Try to pull out the kick plate from the bottom with your hands. If that does not work, undo the screws or clips attached and you will be able to remove the kick plate or grille.
- Then examine the rollers for screws on them. Depending on the size of the screws, use a wrench or pliers to rotate the screws clockwise and raise the legs higher. And if you need to lower the legs, rotate the screws anti-clockwise.
- At the top of the fridge, place the level to measure the tilt of the fridge. Keep adjusting the legs so that the level looks flat from left to right.
- Now place the level at the refrigerator bottom and make sure the fridge tilts slightly towards the back. Make adjustments to the rollers so that the front remains higher than the rear end.
- Place the grille you have removed back at the bottom. If needed, secure the grille screws. And you are done leveling the rollers.
- Use Wedge or Coaster
If you are not pretty much confident to level the fridge, get some furniture coasters or wedges and follow these steps –
- Place furniture coasters or wedges under the fridge rollers to secure rollers firmly in their places
- If the coaster seems expensive, try placing rubber cups under each roller.
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q’s):
- Does Leveling a Fridge Keep It from Moving?
Leveling the fridge or the rollers prevents the fridge from moving most of the time. But if that does not work, you may need to place a wedge or coaster under the fridge to help the rollers stay firm.
- Why Does Fridge Keep Moving from Its Place?
When you keep one of the fridge doors open, the rollers or legs start sliding. Also, if there are loose screws or clips on the legs, the fridge tends to move. The strength of the door gaskets can move the refrigerator from its place.
- Does a Fridge Have to be Perfectly Leveled?
Yes, manufacturers recommend keeping the fridge leveled adequately to help it function well. Also, the leveled fridge does not slide. And they suggest the front end should be higher than the back.Conclusion
Leveling a fridge to stop it from rolling is not an easy-peasy task. But it is not an impossible task either. Once you follow our step-by-step guide on how to stop fridge from rolling, the fridge rollers or legs will remain secured in their respective places.
However, do not forget to take the precautions we have mentioned above. Otherwise, you might end up getting yourself into troublesome situations.